We know you see them.
Those perfectly put together women in your office that are dressed to the nines. Their hair is done, their suits are tailored and their heels are high.
And then you come home and see her.
You know her…your wife?
Rather than a fancy suit, she’s rockin’ the same stained t-shirt she wore yesterday and the same yoga pants she has worn for the past month. Rather than a pair of heels, she’s wearing slippers to keep her toes warm as she does the dishes or tennis shoes as she runs errands for your family. And rather than her hair perfectly curled… you see it.
You know “it”. THE BUN. The messy, greasy, crazy, yet extremely comfortable and super flattering…MOM BUN.
You may think she looks like she put her finger in an electrical socket – and trust me, after a day like today she FEELS like she did!
But today I have ten reason you should LOVE that mom bun she is wearing. Ten reasons you should be GRATEFUL for that rubber banded hair on top of her head. Ten reasons that the mom bun should be your FAVORITE hair style you ever see on your hard-working lady.
1. SHE PUT SOMEONE ELSE’S NEEDS, BEFORE HERSELF: Because honestly, she woke up this morning with high hopes of washing her hair in the shower and having time to blow dry, brush, straighten and curl it – but someone else needed her and she was willing to put her hair to the side. After being interrupted 25 times within five minutes, she gave up on the dream of having perfect hair and embraced the bun….because she knows what is most important.
2. SHE DIDN’T LOSE HERSELF, SHE FOUND HERSELF: She knows that she is a mom – and holds the most important and sacred calling on earth. Some may say she has “let herself go” because she hasn’t washed her hair in days and dry shampoo is her new best friend, but really… she hasn’t lost herself. She has FOUND who she REALLY is! She is a maid and a teacher. She is a listener and a doctor. She is a coach and cheerleader. She is a taxi driver, laundry-doer, toilet scrubber, boo-boo kisser and diaper changer. She is a wife. A daughter. A sister. And a friend.
3. SHE WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO GET WHATEVER IT IS, DONE: You name it, she will do it. And she will make sure it is completed correctly. She is hard working and her mom bun shows you that she is trying her very very best to get everything on her long to-do list accomplished before you walk in the door from your busy day.
4. SHE DIDN’T GIVE UP: Through the tantrums. Through the tears. Through the hours of sleep lost. Through the grocery store. Through the housework. Through reading books, drawing pictures, singing songs and making meals. Through the school pick-up line. Through the nap time fights and through the pressure she feels from society to do it ALL – she never gave up. But seriously, she is amazing, right?!…She NEVER gave up!
5. SHE IS ONE PERSON, BUT HAS DONE THE WORK OF TWENTY…FOR FREE: Wouldn’t you be rockin’ the mom bun if you were doing the work for that many people?! Hard work means sweat, blood and tears. And ain’t nobody got time to have long hair all over their face when the work is gettin’ DONE!
6. SHE LEARNED ABOUT STRENGTHS SHE DIDN’T KNOW SHE HAD: Every day. Every single day she learns something. And that mom bun shows you that she has had a day full of experiences that have changed who she is. Being a mom is a learning experience. There is no study guide she was given or homework assignments that can make her a “better mom.” She is learning as she goes and she may make mistakes. But those mistakes turn into strengths and she is able to become the greatest mom in the world.
7. AND DEALT WITH FEARS SHE DIDN’T KNOW EXISTED: Oh, the fears of a mom. The mom bun shows you of her worries. She has the highest hopes, desires and dreams for her family – but she is nervous of what is to come.
8. SHE MEANS BUSINESS: Have you ever seen her in action as she pulls her hair into that lovely pineapple looking bun to the top of her head?! Boy, when that rubber band comes off her wrist and the bun goes up – you know she is getting ready to get something DONE! It means business. It means she is ready to tackle on whatever comes her way!
9. SHE HAS FULL HANDS AND AN EVEN FULLER HEART: I heard a quote once that said, “If you think my hands are full – you should see my heart.” And every mom bun says just that. The bun says she is busy. The bun says she is fun. The bun says she has a whole lot to do, and her hair ain’t one. The bun says that her heart is FULL of love!
10. SHE HAS KIDS. AND IS DANG GOOD AT RAISING THEM: The mom bun YELLS “I have kids.” The mom bun YELLS “I am BUSY!” The mom bun YELLS “I LOVE being a mom!” The mom bun YELLS “And I am really GOOD one too!”
So…next time you walk into your house and you see your wife rockin’ the mom bun – love it. Embrace it. Cherish it. Because now you have 10 reasons what that mom bun actually means and why she looks oh SO good in it!
Join us on Instagram and share your Mom Bun pride by using #embracethemombun!